University of Pittsburgh
July 8, 2002

Pitt's College of General Studies Offers New Health Services Certificate Programs


Sharon Blake


Cell: 412-277-6926

July 9, 2002

PITTSBURGH—The University of Pittsburgh's College of General Studies (CGS) is offering two new health services certificate programs beginning in Fall 2002 designed to help health professionals, with or without a bachelor's degree, to improve their skills and advance in their fields.

Each of the two new programs—Managing Health Services Programs and Projects, and Community Health Assessment—comprises six courses for 18 credits. The two curricula were developed by university faculty, with consultation from advisors within the community and the health industry, and were designed to allow students to improve their communication and management skills and their knowledge of the health field. Credits earned through the certificate programs can also be applied to the Bachelor of Arts degree in health services.

"This is a new market for the College of General Studies," says CGS Dean Susan R. Kinsey. "Research shows that employers are increasingly inclined to invest in short-term education and will use their continuing education dollars to send employees to programs such as these."

The Managing Health Services Programs and Projects Certificate emphasizes grant and research project management, while the Community Health Assessment Certificate will aid professionals in social services and public and community health.

"We concentrate on the education and skills that our region's health industry employers are looking for. People who take these programs will have a strong advantage as they seek promotions, new positions, or even a new career direction," notes Laura Hastings, associate dean for academic affairs in CGS.

Those interested in these programs for the Fall 2002 semester should apply to the College of General Studies as soon as possible. Financial aid, scholarships, and tuition reimbursements are available, depending upon qualifications.

For more information, call 412/624-6600, or visit the Web site at