University of Pittsburgh
January 16, 2001

PITT ALUMNUS ESTABLISHES THE MAURICE DAVID LEVENSON SCHOLARSHIP FUND

Contact:  412-624-4147

PITTSBURGH, Jan. 12 -- Maurice D. Levenson, 1935 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh School of Pharmacy, who worked evenings and weekends in a drug store to pay $5 per week toward his tuition while he attended pharmacy school, has established the Maurice David Levenson Scholarship Fund to provide partial scholarships for students enrolled in Pitt's School of Pharmacy.

Levenson managed Central Drug Store on Fifth Avenue in downtown McKeesport for many years. Then in 1945, Levenson opened Morry's Drug Store in Clairton. The scholarship is primarily for students whose permanent residence is in communities that Levenson's pharmacy served: Clairton, McKeesport, Glassport, East McKeesport, Liberty Borough, Port Vue, Versailles Township, or White Oak.

Levenson was a resident of Glassport and married Hazel Herron of Elizabeth, PA. They now reside in Tarzana, CA.

-30-

1/12/01/mgc